Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tastiest, Healthiest Chains in Town

                        Chain restaurants are commonly blamed for causing conditions like obesity and diabetes like America’s poster child, McDonalds, but fast food doesn’t always have to be dripping in grease and calories. The following are two of my personal favorite chain food joints in Fort Collins that provide a healthier option to their customers. My first choice for a quick lunch between classes is stopping at one of Fort Collins two
Mad Greens locations. While it’s considered “fast food”, Mad Greens specializes in salads but also serves sandwiches and soups as well. My usual is the Mark Twain which is a pasta salad with cucumbers, feta, red onions, roasted red peppers, and a red wine vinaigrette. Even though this dish contains pasta, it is still only 641 calories and very filling. Mad Greens does a scratch ticket promo that you could win free salad for a year and every player is a winner (bogo, free drink, free salad, etc.). The restaurant also has child friendly options. Mostly, I dine at the Harmony location whose manager is one of the most friendly food service employees I have ever met and is always looking to please her customers. My second choice runs a bit cheaper and is conveniently located on CSU’s campus, Old Town, and Harmony. Spoons Soups and
Salads menu is constantly changing with eightish different soup options every day, two salads of the day, and one sandwich of the day. Because of this, diners will never get tired of going to Spoons and getting the same thing each time. They do have a set menu of salads and sandwiches as well but the soups are never the same. The menu also includes kid’s size soups and grilled cheese so this is also a child friendly option. I like Spoons because it’s a great option for when I’m strapped for cash and looking for something good to eat. Although I do enjoy some of the smaller family owned businesses which I will review later, sometimes I need food and I need it fast so I like having a healthy fast food option.


-Paige


 

No comments:

Post a Comment