Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Positively prestigious pizza

During a trip to my future university, I stumbled upon a tiny pizza place, Boka Pizza. Located in the Arizona Center on the corner of Van Buren and 3rd, you would miss it if you weren't looking for it and were perhaps distracted by the (ahem...) Hooters a couple doors down.

The modern patio, displaying a sign boasting "The lowest beer prices around!" and open doors on top of the fact that it wasn't alarmingly busy for a Friday night is what drew me in. 

For such a small place, Boka's menu was vast, ranging from phenomenal sounding entree salads to topping-drenched pizzas. On the menu was an item I had never seen paired with pizza before: cinnamon rolls and upon further observance, it is one of the restaurant's most unique and highly applauded attributes. 


I chose to order the Pizza Margherita (big surprise) which had a garlic butter glaze on the crust. Before I go further, let me make the following disclaimer: I know in the past I have claimed that Veebo's Pizza is the best pizza I have ever tasted. As Veebo's chose not to renew their license this year, making them unable to serve any kind of food or beverages, I feel like I can make the following exclamation.
Boka Pizza is the best pizza place I have ever been to. While their pizza is comparable to others, Boka stands out because of their garlic butter glaze, fresh ingredients, and extremely friendly and approachable staff. 

I was a little grumpy about the time it took them to serve me my pizza but as soon as I saw the finished product, I knew why it took so long. Each pizza is hand made to order, including the crust. On top of my personalized pizza was the freshest basil I have ever seen. My meal wasn't soaked with grease and for pizza, tasted very healthy! 

The only issue I had with the restaurant was the price. Not being from the area and being a stingy student probably skewed my point of view. Although I didn't expect to pay as much as I did, the staff provided alternate options that would save me money. 

Boka Pizza delivers, has a patio perfect for four legged friends, and is completely child friendly. If you are ever in the Downtown Pheonix area, Boka is a MUST for lunch and happy hour deals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment