Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Roller Derby: Fort Collin's Secret Culture

     When people hear the term “roller derby” they tend to envision large, beefy girls on skates knocking each other down and like boxing, is all for show. While this may have been true twenty years ago, today roller derby is becoming a popular sport that has created a sort of “underground” culture even in Fort Collins. I am not going to brush you up on the rules and guidelines of the sport but rather give my perspective of the growing phenomena, so if you are interested in learning how it is played, I have included a clip from Drew Barrymore’s movie, Whip It, 2009, that goes over the basics. In Fort Collins there are two teams: FoCO Girls Gone Derby who practice at Rollerland and Choice City Rebels who practice at the Qdoba Event Center. I have seen both teams play several times and although FoCO shows a higher skill set, I am partial to the Rebels because of their home rink and practice facilities, friendly players, and that I myself am a Choice City Rebel (so my opinion is rather biased). There is no elbowing girls in the face or any of the other moves that staged roller derby of the past has presented but rather seriously skilled skaters and maneuvers that are obviously not set up. The skaters themselves are from every walk of life. For example, one of my team mates is a 30 something divorcee with several kids and another is barely out of high school. Age is not handicap in this sport. One of the most prominent aspects of roller derby is the selection of names and matching numbers. A skaters name has to represent their skill level as well as include a pun usually referring to sexuality or toughness. Some examples include: my coach, Ex Wife Beater, and my own name, Blonde Bullet.
To match the intimidating names, skaters tend to parade around in risqué outfits which, along with the names, may make roller derby inappropriate for the kiddos in your bunch (as an audience you will generally see an eyeful of bosom and bottom on skaters with names like “Hello Klitty”). The audience that gathers to witness these bouts are also an eclectic group. There is usually heavy drinking and tons of shouting at players and the refs which is expected with any sport. I have done my absolute best to set the scene for this part of Fort Collins culture but it is difficult unless you see it in action. If you need a fun and entertaining activity for the weekend, definitely head over to Qdoba Event Center to see one of these bouts but leave the kids at home! You won’t follow the fast paced game at first but by the end of the night you will be shouting right along the side the veterans.
Notes:  The price to get in runs about $15 at the most and the beer is cheap. It’s a little hard to find too so definitely plug it into your GPS.

-Paige


 Also, I will update this post when I find out when the next bout is.



No comments:

Post a Comment