Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Photo Credit: Paige Closson

Monday, June 10, 2013

Falls in Fort Collins

Most of Fort Collins spent their weekend in Old Town listening to good music and drinking good alcohol. I, on the other hand, spent my weekend on my couch with swollen cheeks from getting my wisdom teeth out on Friday. Although I’m sure The Taste of Fort Collins was the perfect way to begin the summer months, my down time was much needed. As my first day up and out of the house, I ventured to Horsetooth Mountain Open Space and trekked to the Horsetooth Falls. I've been living in Fort Collins, Colorado for seven years now and this is the first year I've heard about the falls. Early summer is the ideal time to take the 1.2 mile hike because the falls thrive off of the snow melt from the mountains and both the flow of water down the rocks and the pool at the bottom of the falls will be most full. Although this may not sound like a difficult journey, personally, I have never felt more out of shape. The path is small, rocky, and very “up and down”. There is a lot of climbing up and over boulders and stairs but overall the hike was charming with scenic rolling hills, meadows, and lots of shady trees and it is well worth the walk. The pool at the foot of the falls is a nice, shady place where hikers can take their shoes off and wade in the shallow water. As a warning, because the water is snow runoff, it is very cold but refreshing. There is also a small pool at the top of the falls but there is less shade and places to sit. There were many people taking the hike including families with kids so this short adventure is child friendly as well as dog friendly as my companion Scout, the pocket beagle, joined me. There is plenty of parking and facilities equipped with drinking fountains for adults, kids, and your four legged friends. Parking is $6 and arrive early because although there is plenty of opportunity to stop in the shade, it does get very hot along the way and it does tend to become more crowded as the day goes on. - Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment